On May 1 the United States officially recognizes Law Day. It is meant to reflect on the role of law in the foundation of the country and to recognize its importance for society.
Before President Dwight D. Eisenhower declared May 1 to be Law Day, U.S.A., the first day of May was known in some parts of the world as May Day: a day to remember the struggles of workers in their fight for better wages and working conditions. Law Day was originally the idea of Charles S. Rhyne, Eisenhower’s legal counsel for a time, who was serving in 1957–1958 as president of the American Bar Association. Eisenhower proclaimed May 1 to be Law Day, U.S.A. in 1958. Its observance was later codified by Public Law 87-20 on April 7, 1961.
Selected Quotes For Law Day 1 May
- “Let me be clear – no one is above the law. Not a politician, not a priest, not a criminal, not a police officer. We are all accountable for our actions.” – Antonio Villaraigosa
- “Love is the flower of life, and blossoms unexpectedly and without law, and must be plucked where it is found, and enjoyed for the brief hour of its duration.” – D. H. Lawrence
- “The good of the people is the greatest law.” Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “The glory of justice and the majesty of law are created not just by the Constitution – nor by the courts – nor by the officers of the law – nor by the lawyers – but by the men and women who constitute our society – who are the protectors of the law as they are themselves protected by the law.” Robert Kennedy
- “So we’re going to be looking into our legal options.”
- “That was important because it set a legal precedent.”
- “I recognize this is a serious matter. It is still a legal proceeding, that’s all I can say. I can’t comment on any of this. It’s the position we’ve taken for two years now.”
- Laws grind the poor, and rich men rule the law. OLIVER GOLDSMITH
- People are more afraid of the laws of Man than of God, because their punishment seems to be nearest. WILLIAM PENN
- The law is the public conscience. THOMAS HOBBES
- People are getting smarter nowadays; they are letting lawyers, instead of their conscience, be their guide
- The tax code is a giant and there’s just a single activity with it. Scrap it, slaughter it, drive a stake through its heart, cover it and expectation it never rises again to threaten the American individuals.
- The distinction among death and taxes is demise doesn’t deteriorate each time Congress meets. Don’t let these things stop you today, go and pay your dues.
- The motivation behind a tax slice is to leave more cash where it has a place: in the hands of the working men and working ladies who earned it in any case.
- We fight that for a country to attempt to tax itself into success resembles a man remaining in a pail and attempting to lift himself up by the handle.
- Discipline and law goes hand in hand Keep faith and understand Respect each law and lead the right way Wish you a happy Law Day
- Law controls, law gives freedom Law is the tool to humanity Thanks for making law so just And maintaining the professions integrity Happy Law Day
- I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ― Robert A. Heinlein
- The Press was to serve the governed, not the governors.” ~ Hugo Black, Supreme Court Justice
- “The people’s good is the highest law. Happy Law Day 2021” ~ Cicero, Roman politician and lawyer
- “Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man… We ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” ~ Frederick Douglass, 1867