The sales call is one of the tasks of the sales realm, which will generally be the responsibility of a sales representative.
Here, sales representatives will communicate directly with potential customers or clients to pursue sales of products or services from their business.
Then, what is a more detailed definition of a sales call, and how do you do it? You can find the answer in the summary that wannawishyou made this time.
What is a Sales Call?
To summarize Snow’s explanation, a sales call is a face-to-face meeting between a sales representative and a potential customer (or client) prearranged to sell a product or service.
On the other hand, the meeting also has an essential role in introducing the business, product, or service they offer.
Especially if the sales representative can make a good impression and clearly convey important information about the products or services offered.
Apart from being done directly, sales calls can also be made via telephone, video calls, or video conference calls.
Such actions may be more familiar as phone and virtual sales calls.
Snow provides six points that you can follow if you want to make a sales call, which include:
1. How to prepare a sales call
Before making a sales call, it’s a good idea to prepare the following points:
- research customer (or client) profiles, client business profiles, and potential sales prospects
- send an agenda outline to the client before the meeting is held
- prepare and carry materials, brochures, contracts, or other supporting documents
- know the purpose of the sales call agenda that is sought
- make a list of information related to what needs to be learned from the client during the meeting
- prepare the steps we need to take after the meeting with the client ends
2. How to make a positive impression
To make a positive impression on clients, we can use the following approaches:
- Find out the client’s interests, hobbies, achievements, and families. Mainly the party is the decision maker or leader in the scheduled meeting.
- Make smooth conversational transitions, from small talk to business topics.
- Do more listening than talking, as Salesforce mentions.
- Asking the goals that the client’s business wants to achieve.
- Inquire about current or potential challenges faced by the client’s business.
3. How to determine prospects
Sales representatives can make good connections with clients by asking the right questions. So, opportunities for sales will be more open.
Some of the points below we need to know before taking action on sales prospects:
- Who is the decision maker on the client side
- What is the process clients usually do when they meet a new sales representative?
- how and why clients can use the product or service they are using now
- the period the client spends on a sales call
- how many funds will they allocate
- know precisely what they need
- What aspects of the client would you like to change about the product or service they are currently using?
4. How to conduct a client profile survey during a sales call
This is an excellent time to complete a client profile survey when a sales call is made.
We can ask some of the points below to find out more about the client’s business profile and the things they need:
- What are the client company’s business structure and its roles in it?
- What values do clients consider essential personally?
- know the problems they are facing and what kind of help they expect
- what is the client’s personal opinion about their company
- what kind of support do clients want from a sales representative after the sale occurs
- what are their short-term and long-term goals
If the sales call is over, ask the client what their next step will be.
After that, agree on the next draft plan with the client according to their answers.
5. How to present the proposed solution
Presentation is critical in a sales call. When presenting, try to do the following:
- Prioritize client needs.
- Discuss the benefits that will be received by the client. Also, ensure the benefits follow their needs and interests.
- Use easy-to-understand terms.
- Present your solution clearly.
- Involve the client during the presentation.
- Accommodate the needs and problems of the client, then provide an explanation of how your product or service can be a solution to their needs or issues.
6. How to end a sales call
At the end of the sales call plan, there are at least two things we need to make sure of, namely:
- Does the client consider that the product or service that we offer can be a solution to their needs?
- Do clients understand the value they can get if their problem is solved?
If the client understands the two points above, we can say that we have made a good presentation.
Next, we can follow up by asking what steps they will take.
Suppose the client is interested in making a purchase. After the sales call ends, the sales representative must communicate with the client.
Also, ask what they need and what we can help them with, okay?
From the explanation above, it can be concluded that a sales call is an action that will involve so many skills.
Some of them are planning, research, communication, business understanding, interpersonal approach, and persuasion skills.
Oh yes, for those of you who are interested in reading articles like this, you can look for similar readings that have been published on the Sales wannawishyou Blog channel.
Many tips, tricks, and up-to-date information about the world of sales can make your career even better.