What better way to heal, comfort and inspire someone than with quotes? This blog post contains some of the best sympathy quotes to help you get through this difficult time. Please read them carefully and find your favourite quote from these great words!
When someone we love dies, it feels like the world is crumbling. We are left with a gaping hole in our hearts and questions that never seem to have answers. It’s important to take time for ourselves during this challenging time, but it’s also important to remember that other people need us. Sympathy quotes can help you heal and comfort those around you by providing words of wisdom when no one else can. In this article, we’ll discuss what sympathy is and how best to show your support through these difficult times.”
Table of contents
11 of the Most Engaging Sympathy Quotes
- In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing. ~Robert Ingersoll
- Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. ~From a headstone in Ireland
- He spake well who said that graves are the footprints of angels. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. ~Kahlil Gibran
- We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey. ~Kenji Miyazawa
- To live in hearts we leave behind
Is not to die.
~Thomas Campbell, “Hallowed Ground”
- While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil. ~John Taylor
- A human life is a story told by God. ~Hans Christian Andersen
- He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains. ~Kahlil Gibran
- It is the will of God and Nature that these mortal bodies be laid aside, when the soul is to enter into real life; ’tis rather an embrio state, a preparation for living; a man is not completely born until he be dead: Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals? ~Benjamin Franklin, 22 February 1756
Sympathy Poems for When Words Aren’t Enough
- He kept at true good humour’s mark
The social flow of pleasure’s tide:
He never made a brow look dark,
Nor caused a tear, but when he died.
~Thomas Love Peacock
- Life is eternal, and love is immortal,
and death is only a horizon;
and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.
~Rossiter Worthington Raymond
- With what a deep devotedness of woe
I wept thy absence – o’er and o’er again
Thinking of thee, still thee, till thought grew pain,
And memory, like a drop that, night and day,
Falls cold and ceaseless, wore my heart away!
- If tears could build a stairway,
And memories a lane,
I’d walk right up to Heaven
And bring you home again.
- Good-night! good-night! as we so oft have said
Beneath this roof at midnight, in the days
That are no more, and shall no more return.
Thou hast but taken up thy lamp and gone to bed;
I stay a little longer, as one stays
To cover up the embers that still burn.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- When he shall die
Take him and cut him out in little stars
And he will make the face of heav’n so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
~William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
- Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow. ~Rita Schiano, Sweet Bitter Love, 1997, published by The Reed Edwards Company
- And with the morn those angel faces smile
- Which I have loved long since and lost awhile.
- ~John Henry Newman
Touching Sympathy Quotes
- The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God. ~Quoted in The Angels’ Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994
- Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality. ~Emily Dickinson
- Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. ~Author Unknown
- For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity. ~William Penn
- Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,
May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.
- A grave is braced not just by a tombstone but by angels as well. ~Adabella Radici